So I watched the opening… I missed all the fancy stuff at the beginning and sat down just in time to see the parade of countries. When I started watching they were on Maldives, Malta, etc. So I think… ok we’re on M, must have missed Australia and it will be awhile until the US shows up. Unless of course they go by the Chinese character alphabet which would mean that Malta was around number 8.
Already tired at this point I thought, ok?I’ll just watch until the US and Australia make their entrance, then I’ll go to bed. Too bad Australia was number 203 of 205 countries! So I painfully watched all 203498 hours of this thing.
Here are?a few things I noticed:
1. Either I just didn’t learn a lot in geography or there are new countries popping up left and right. I couldn’t possibly be THAT unaware of the world around me? Or could I? I couldn’t possibly have gone nearly 28 years without ever hearing of Lesotho, Oman, Eritrea, and?Burkina Faso. People actually live in these places? And they have olympic sports teams?? I think I need to go back to school.
2. I’ve never seen so many hideous outfits. Seriously… WTF was up with the disgusting sport coat and retarded hat combos that many of the countries were wearing? It seemed like there was a theme that most countries had to follow: pair one brightly colored sport coat with a brightly colored pair of pants or hideous knee length skirt. Then throw in some tennis shoes to look extra tacky. Don’t believe me about how bad this was? See for yourself:
Unfortunately I couldn’t find photos of my faves. And as I was googling for images to share with you all, I came across the following awesome headlines regarding the uniforms:
The US uniforms were not too bad. Not FABULOUS but?their stylish hats were SO much better than?some of the other?monstrosities.
3. I couldn’t help but feel really sorry for the lonesome athlete from Niger. How sad would you be if you were the ONLY athlete from your entire country. Who knows, maybe he feels extra proud knowing he’s the only athlete in the entire country who made it- but so much for any possible team spirit. And I bet there aren’t tons of fans who traveled from Niger to see him. My mom wants him to win something because she feels bad for him.
4. How brave was that guy who ran around the screen at the top of the stadium to light the torch. I’m not even really afraid of heights but that would have been so scary! Hanging that high by just a few wires? No thanks!
5. Other than China who is hosting, the two countries that BY FAR got the most cheers were the US and Australia. Of course I have lived in the 2 best countries 🙂 Iraq had a pretty impressive cheer as well. Interesting.
I really hope I can find some more hideous photos of the outfits to post. They really were atrocious.