So back home in the good ol’ US of A they have this little thing called Separation of Church and State. While I see the point of it (different people are from different religious backgrounds, so it is only fair) I also think it is sad when people take it too far and start crying and flipping out about every little mention of religion in a school, mall or even on a soda can.
I honestly think Americans are becoming the whineyist (yes, that’s a word) bunch of people on earth.?People seriously need to get over themselves, live their OWN lives and just stop worrying about?the preferences of others.??I give the following examples to back up my statement:
- People whine that their kids say prayers in some schools. Then when they take prayer out of schools, people whine that their kids aren’t allowed to pray.
- People whine that their kids shouldn’t have to say “God” in the pledge of Allegiance.
- Easter Break as I once knew it has been morphed into Spring Break because people whined that Easter isn’t celebrated by all. But isn’t Easter the reason we started having a week holiday in the first place? We don’t celebrate autumn with an “autumn break.” I’m pretty sure if it weren’t for Easter-?Spring break wouldnt exist.?I could be wrong here… don’t feel the need to start giving me the real definition of spring break… i really don’t care- it’s not the point.
- Schools and work places now have to have holiday parties because people whine about using the word Christmas.
- A Christmas tree was actually taken down at an airport in Seattle because people whined about it. Seriously- since when is a Christmas tree offensive?
- Gay people can’t get married because religious people whine about it.
Now, I must say, I’m not complaining about other religions or anything, but seriously Pepsi even omitted the word “God” from their patriotic can awhile back because people threw a fit! I’m SOOOOO over whiney over-dramatic people. It’s like people got this freedom and they say times are changing and now all they want to do is bitch and moan about every little thing. Honestly, was anyone REALLY REALLY bothered that Pepsi had the pledge of allegiance on it’s can? If so… GET OVER IT!!! Drink Coke in protest! But seriously, just shut the hell up! If Coke started putting the Jewish star on their cans around Hanukkah, I wouldn’t care ONE bit. Seriously… who gives a shit!?!
Sometimes I feel like a high-stress person, but I realize I must be incredibly calm if other people on this earth are getting all hot and bothered about some of the lamest things.
America was obviously originally inhabited by Native Americans and then the Christian English people came over. They had their own views and as new people and religions landed on US soil, the country became more diverse. The problem is, all religions are different, people are different. You can’t please everyone- so instead of dealing with a few whiney people who bitch about the word God being on a Pepsi can, Pepsi chooses to take it off. I bet they lost more sales due to the people they pissed off by changing the pledge!
I bring all this up due to a speech I saw today. It was the Prime Minister of Australia giving a speech apologizing to the Aboriginals of Australia. The speech wasn’t what got to me. It was the fact that not only did the parliament hearing start off with a little blessing… but the blessing was then followed by the full Lord’s Prayer! You know, “Our Father, who art in Heaven…”
It seriously shocked me to see this kind of prayer in a government meeting. Andrew has explained to me that this country was built on Christian beliefs and people know when they come here that they can follow their own religions, but Australia as a nation is Christian. People don’t whine and moan about it because they knew that when they came here and they CHOSE to come here. People don’t ?HAVE?to come here?or to the US. They make a choice.?He also said that the government has basically stated to people that English is spoken in Australia so if you want to come here- learn English. In the US, our government is too afraid to call English our official language.
OK, I must point out that I’m not criticizing any religion. Religion actually has nothing to do with my point if you read it clearly enough. It’s just a matter of people bitching and moaning about every tiny thing that doesn’t work exaclty how they want it in THEIR lives. They just don’t care about what anyone else thinks or believes.
I wish people would all live their own lives and stop making such a fuss over such trivial unimportant things. I just want to shake people and tell them to GET OVER IT!!
Ok I’m ready for people and their opinionated comments here telling me I’m being one sided, blah blah. I’m only stating these things because I’ve come to see how different the US and Australia are and it really puts things into perspective for me.
End of Rant.